We are excited to offer private piano and voice lessons as part of our Fine Arts program at Cornerstone Christian Academy. If you are interested in enrolling your child in piano or voice lessons, please read the following information carefully, and complete this interest form. At this time, we anticipate more interest than available spots, so we will be in contact with you as we determine placement and schedules. If there is not a current opening, you will be placed on a waiting list and we will contact you when a spot becomes available.
Lessons will be contracted per semester/summer session. When you sign up for lessons, you are committing to an entire semester/summer of lessons. Lessons are given weekly for 30 minutes (the summer session is abbreviated). There are some weeks during the school year when there will be no lessons (school holidays, major programs, etc.) Lessons are $600 per semester and $240 for the summer session, paid to Cornerstone, and payment is due prior to the first lesson of each session. Lessons are offered after school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and before school on a limited basis (piano), and after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays (voice). You will be asked to re-enroll in (or terminate) lessons each semester/session. If you choose to terminate lessons and wish to re-enroll at a later time, you must go back on the waiting list. Once you enroll in lessons, you will be given a calendar of specific lesson dates. Please make note of payment dates and be prompt with your payment. You will be billed through Renweb. If you have not paid your lesson fee for the previous semester/session, you will not be able to re-enroll for lessons until fees are paid in full.
- Piano Students: You must have an instrument to practice on at home. It does not need to be a top-of-the-line instrument. When choosing a keyboard, please make sure the KEYS are full-size. The KEYBOARD does not have to be a full 88 keys as the standard piano. If you can purchase a keyboard with weighted keys, even better, This allows the student the ability to play loud and soft, and generally gives the “feel” of a traditional piano. If you have a piano, you will want to make sure it is tuned. These things will make the experience much more pleasurable for your child!
- Regular practice is the key to success. As with any skill, a child cannot learn to play an instrument if he/she does not practice regularly. Please work on setting a practice time with your child, just as you would for their homework. Lessons are a wonderful experience when steady progress is being made. A beginning student should plan to practice 20 minutes per day, 4-5 times per week.
- Students need to bring a 1” binder to the first lesson. Each week, the assignment for the week will be placed in the binder. Students will also record their practice time on the assignment page. This is also a great place for correspondence to and from the parents/teacher. Make sure you check the binder each week.
- Families will be asked to purchase lesson books; links to purchase lesson books will be provided by teachers. Please be prompt in placing orders so your child is prepared with the books they need for each lesson. In some cases, teachers may order books for you and will provide an invoice.
- Cornerstone has a policy of no make-up for missed lessons. Just like dance classes, baseball practices, games, and other activities, while it is unfortunate to miss a lesson for another activity, the teacher is under no obligation to make up your lesson. However, if the TEACHER cancels a lesson, it will be made up.
- Cornerstone has a no-refund policy. Please understand that you are committing to a full semester of lessons. When you are assigned a day and time, the teacher has committed that time and will most likely be unable to fill the spot.
- Please be prepared and come to school on the day of your lesson WITH YOUR BOOKS. It is important that all students have the “tools” they need on their lesson day. If a child consistently comes to their lesson without their materials, lessons may be suspended. This is a great opportunity to work on those organizational skills!
- Please be on time for your lesson. If you do not arrive on time, the teacher cannot guarantee a full 30-minute lesson.
- There will be opportunities for performances in recitals and concerts. Piano students also participate in the annual Federation Piano Festival each winter (February/March). Your teachers will give you specific details about this event. Music is meant to be shared! Additionally, preparing to perform a piece in front of others motivates students to refine and polish their skills.
- The teacher will do everything possible to keep you informed of your child’s progress. Please read the weekly assignment page. Help your child keep track of their practice. Please make note of any questions or concerns.
- Aside from the weekly binder, email will be the best form of communication regarding scheduling and day-to-day questions. HOWEVER, if you have a concern about your child’s progress, etc. email is NOT the best way to communicate. Please call the teacher or come in during the lesson to set up an appointment.
- Please inform the teacher as far in advance as possible if you will miss a lesson. If your child is sick on their lesson day, please email Mrs. Plate ASAP.
MUSIC IS FUN!
The goal of the piano studio at Cornerstone is to develop a lifelong enjoyment of making music and help students discover their God-given gifts and passions. Multiple research studies show a positive link between participation in music lessons to brain health, enhanced math skills, higher levels of achievement, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, music fosters creativity, individuality, self-discipline, and commitment. The list goes on! We are excited to offer our students this opportunity as we grow our Fine Arts department. For additional information, please contact Mrs. Laurie Plate at: firstname.lastname@example.org